The most effective treatments to get rid of bed bugs are insecticides or extreme heat. However, the treatments will only work if the correct preparation and aftercare is carried out.
Please watch the video below which shows the preparation required.
- Clear all clutter such as toys, books, boxes, DVDs, posters, shoes etc. Items that cannot be either washed, tumble dried or sprayed with insecticide must be put in a freezer overnight before returning them to the treated room.
- Drawers and wardrobes must be emptied and every crack vacuumed. Clothes can only be re-introduced to the rooms once they have been washed at 60°c.
- All items of bedding need to be washed at 60°c followed by a hot dry cycle.
- Carpets and curtains must be cleaned/vacuumed.
- Mattresses must be vacuumed, including around every button if they have them.
- Headboards need to be removed and divan bases opened then every crack and piece of wood vacuumed.
- After vacuuming remove the vacuum bag and place in an outside bin.
Heat treatment does not require the same level of preparation. We advise washing bedding, cleaning surfaces and vacuuming carpets.