Bird and Pigeon Proofing
Prices from £75 +VAT
To proof your home or business premises to deter pigeons and birds call 0800 026 0308
How much does it cost to protect a property from birds and pigeons?
For all the services below the price depends on the area to be treated. Please call 0800 026 0308 for a quote.
Bird and pigeon proofing from £75 +VAT
Application of Bird Free repellent gel from £75 +VAT
Our guarantee depends on the treatment we undertake.
- We guarantee the materials we use for 6-months – nets, mesh, spikes, cowls
- Bird Free repellent gel is guaranteed for 6-months if left undisturbed.
Which birds cause problems for buildings?
- Pigeons roost and nest in sheltered areas on roofs and balconies of apartment blocks and commercial buildings.
- Gulls roost and nest in sheltered areas on roofs of commercial buildings.
- House martins build their nests under the eaves of houses.
- Starlings and sparrows nest in holes and crevices in buildings, such as vents for dryers, extractor fans, soil pipes and drain pipes.
- Jackdaws build their nests in chimneys of old houses.
Why do we need to deter birds from roosting and nesting on buildings?
- Nesting birds and their young are noisy.
- Large amounts of droppings smell unpleasant and make a building look unsightly.
- The droppings contain pathogens and bacteria which can cause very serious illness if breathed in (once dried) or ingested.
- Pigeon droppings are acidic which can corrode and erode brickwork, metalwork and stonework.
- Birds’ nests have mites, ticks, fleas and beetles which can find their way into the building.
- Nesting materials, feathers and droppings can block gutters and drains as well as reducing the effectiveness of solar panels.
- Birds can cause damage to roofs, gutters, chimneys, air conditioning units, solar panels etc.
- Gulls can be aggressive to people, particularly in spring and summer when they breed and raise their young.
How our treatment works
We prefer to proof an area to deter birds from roosting and nesting as it’s the most effective solution and more humane than culling. It’s also easier than removing the mess and debris made by birds. It’s against the law to disturb eggs, nests or their young so removing nests can only be done once the breeding season is over. Pigeons breed all year-round which can make it difficult.
Our technician will recommend which bird proofing option to deter birds and pigeons will be most effective for your situation.
- Anti-perch spikes fitted onto anything birds can use to perch such as chimneys, lights, balconies and TV aerials.
- Bird Free repellent gel applied on rooftops and areas which are particularly attractive for birds to roost and nest. The gel creates a glow similar to shimmering fire whilst emitting a pungent odour which together cause an aversion response in birds.
- Solar panel proofing using mesh or spikes. See www.pestuk.com/pest/protect-solar-panels-from-pigeons-birds/
- Netting installed to protect rooftops and balconies from birds landing and perching.
- Hawking can be used to deter nuisance birds from roosting and nesting, however it needs to be carried out frequently to be effective.
- Fitting a chimney cowl to the top of a chimney pot stops jackdaws and other birds from gaining access. If the fireplace is disused and blocked up the chimney pot can be capped although it will still need to let in air for ventilation.
Where necessary our technician can treat the area with a biocidal spray.
An infestation of birds is serious for commercial buildings and business premises
Large numbers of pigeons and gulls roosting and nesting on the rooftops of offices, hotels, factories, hospitals etc. result in large amounts of bird droppings. These smell unpleasant, make the building look unsightly and can also make the pavements and walkways below slippery. Not only can this be damaging for a company’s reputation, it can be dangerous for workmen who need to access the roof to make repairs and creates a serious health hazard.
By nesting and fouling in and around air conditioning units, nesting materials, feathers and droppings can block vents and contaminate the air flowing into the unit which can spread airborne disease throughout a building.
Premises used for food production or packing may face prosecution if there is an infestation of birds as this violates the Food Safety Regulations 1995.
Additional services we offer
Removal of bird droppings
The technician will spray the affected area with water to loosen and soften the debris and dampen down any dust. They will scrape the droppings into a bin bag which will be tightly sealed before being disposed of. Once cleaned the area will be treated with a biocidal spray.
Removal of bird nests
All bird nests are protected by law. It’s illegal to intentionally disturb or destroy the active nest of any wild bird.
Removing a bird nest will prevent birds such as house martins and swallows from re-using the nest. Bird nests harbour parasites which can enter your home via gaps in the soffits, window frames, air bricks etc.
Our technician will safely remove each nest, placing it into a bin bag which they will tightly seal before disposing of it. They will clean the area where the nest was situated and treat it with a biocidal spray.
If you have a bird nest in your chimney, once it’s stopped being active you will need to have the chimney swept to remove nesting materials and debris as this is flammable.