Pigeon and Bird Proofing | Deter Birds from Roosting and Nesting
Why do we need to deter birds from roosting and nesting on buildings?
- Nesting birds and their young are noisy.
- Large amounts of droppings smell unpleasant and make a building look unsightly.
- The droppings contain pathogens and bacteria which can cause very serious illness if breathed in (once dried) or ingested.
- Pigeon droppings are acidic which can corrode and erode brickwork, metalwork and stonework.
- Birds’ nests have mites, ticks, fleas and beetles which can find their way into the building.
- Nesting materials, feathers and droppings can block gutters and drains as well as reducing the effectiveness of solar panels.
- Birds can cause damage to roofs, gutters, chimneys, air conditioning units, solar panels etc.
- Gulls can be aggressive to people, particularly in spring and summer when they breed and raise their young.
Which birds cause problems for buildings?
- Pigeons roost and nest in sheltered areas on roofs and balconies of apartment blocks and commercial buildings.
- Gulls roost and nest in sheltered areas on roofs of commercial buildings.
- House martins build their nests under the eaves of houses.
- Jackdaws build their nests in chimneys of old houses.
How serious is an infestation of birds for commercial buildings and business premises?
Large numbers of pigeons and gulls roosting and nesting on the rooftops of offices, hotels, factories, hospitals etc. result in large amounts of bird droppings. These smell unpleasant, make buildings look unsightly and can also make the pavements and walkways below slippery. Not only can this be damaging for a company’s reputation, it can be dangerous for workmen who need to access the roof to make repairs and create a serious health hazard. By nesting and fouling in and around air conditioning units, nesting materials, feathers and droppings can block vents and contaminate the air flowing into the unit which can spread airborne disease throughout a building. Premises used for food production or packing may face prosecution if there is an infestation of birds as this violates the Food Safety Regulations 1995.
What solutions do PEST UK offer?
We prefer to proof an area to deter birds from roosting and nesting as it’s the most effective solution and more humane than culling. It’s also easier than removing the mess and debris made by birds as it’s against the law to disturb eggs, nests or their young so this can only be done once the breeding season is over. Pigeons breed all year-round which can make it difficult.
Bird proofing options
Bird Free repellent gel is a harmless, unobtrusive and humane method of deterring all types of birds. It creates a glow similar to shimmering fire whilst emitting a pungent odour which together cause an aversion response in birds. PEST UK’s technicians place the gel in areas which are particularly attractive for them to roost or nest.
Left undisturbed the gel remains completely effective for two years, even in the most exposed and polluted environment, without maintenance. The cost will vary depending on the size of the area that needs to be treated.
Our technicians have installed netting to protect rooftops and balconies from birds landing and perching.
Netting installed over the rooftop of a hotel in Slough.
Netting installed over a balcony to prevent birds perching or landing.
Anti-perch spikes can be installed on anything which birds can use to perch such as chimneys, lights, balconies and tv aerials. They prevent pigeons from perching and fouling the walls of a building and making a mess of areas below.
Mesh for solar panels
The area below solar panels is perfect for birds to roost and nest as it provides shelter from the weather and predators. Our technicians fasten strips of mesh, designed specifically for use with solar panels, under the lip of each side of the panels using clips manufactured for this purpose. The mesh is folded over to improve its rigidity and prevent leaves from gathering. Ventilation remains unaffected so the panels can function efficiently. Correctly-installed, the mesh will not compromise the manufacturer’s warranty.
For more information see Solar Panel Bird Proofing
We offer a hawking service to scare away nuisance birds. This has to be carried out frequently to provide long-term results.
- We guarantee the materials we use – nets, mesh, spikes – for 6-months.
- Bird Free repellent gel is guaranteed for 6-months if left undisturbed.
- We cannot guarantee that hawking will eradicate nuisance birds completely.
Click on the product to access its data sheet
|Bird proofing from||£75/£90||+VAT|
|Bird Free repellent gel from||£75/£90||+VAT|
* 2-hour flight £200/£220 +VAT