Restaurants and pests
Many restaurants are unsure of how best to prevent pests from disrupting their business. At PESTUK, we are often asked how to keep a restaurant pest-free.
Food premises can attract all kinds of pests. For example, rats, mice, ants, flies, and cockroaches. We find that a pest control contract will keep these premises clear of pests. Most businesses are required by law to ensure that their premises remain pest-free. The easiest and most effective way to do this is to have a regular pest control contract. Depending on the type of premises, the number of visits and the pests covered can vary. We recommend at least eight scheduled inspections for food premises per year.
Why should you have a contract?
Prevention is better than cure. A pest control contract will provide you, the owner, with peace of mind. Most importantly, your premises, staff, customers, and stock are kept safe from pests. Furthermore, a well-run pest control contract will also prevent any bad publicity that can come as a consequence of having an infestation in your establishment. Bad publicity has proven to seriously damage businesses in the past.
More importantly, you should consider that it is required by law. The Food Safety Act and Food Hygiene Regulations provide further legislation governing food premises. Breaching these rules can lead to fines, closure of businesses, and above all, even prison sentences.
The local Environmental Health Department will appreciate knowing that your company is responsible concerning pest control. So will your customers.
What to look for in a contractor to keep your restaurant pest-free
Before you agree to a contract, you should consider a pest control company that can offer the following:
- A BPCA Membership. This ensures that you are dealing with a professional pest control contractor who is bound by the rules of the BPCA.
- A written quotation, including a free survey of the premises. This should include full details of the contract terms and will identify which pests, the number of visits per year, and the price.
- Evidence of adequate technical resources, training and qualifications of service staff, supervisors, and management.
- Proof of adequate public liability, product liability, and employers’ liability insurance cover.
- The ability to offer proofing and other preventative measures. These can include advice on housekeeping, storage, waste disposal, cleaning, and the detection and monitoring of pest populations.
What will a PEST UK contract offer your business?
- Cover of your premises for named pests for a fixed fee. (We also provide contracts that include all pests making budgeting simpler).
- Baits and insect monitoring traps are laid and inspected regularly as agreed upon in the contract.
- Free call-outs within 24 hours for any issues relating to pests covered in your contract.
- Written reports after each visit detailing any problems and giving hygiene and/or proofing recommendations.
- Details of all insecticides/rodenticides used.
- Visits arranged to suit the customer.
- 20% discount on any treatments carried out not included in your contract.
- Accreditation – PEST UK is a full BPCA member. All technicians are members of the PROMPT/BASIS scheme.
- A regular technician. Once a contract is allocated to a technician we try not to ‘swap’ technicians and, as a result, your technician will know the history of the contract and become a friendly face at your premises.
- Scheduled Visits – PEST UK will supply dates of scheduled visits. Additionally, we can ring beforehand for confirmation if required.
Contact PEST UK on 0330 100 2811 to arrange a free quote for a pest control contract at your premises to keep your restaurant pest-free.
PESTUK are full members of the BPCA, the governing body for pest control in the UK. Using a BPCA member company ensures you have a qualified, fully insured company treating your pest problem.
For an updated price list for all of our services please click here.