How to Get Rid of Flies
Nov 25 in Pests
How to get rid of Flies
PESTUK commonly are asked how to get rid of Flies and customers will mention some of the home made products and items they have tried to solve a problem. While these sorts of solutions may help with the occasional fly to deal with an ongoing large or persistent nuisance problem we would recommend calling a professional company to deal with the problem.
Homemade traps & methods to get rid of flies
Some of these methods may provide a benefit to your problem with flies, but without finding the cause they are just prolonging the problem.
- Take a plastic bottle cut the top 1/3rd off and fill the bottom third with sugar water (or something more rotting and putrid for the majority of Flies). Turn the top third upside down and place into the bottle. Tape the join up and leave in the area you have seen the Flies.
- Fill a bowl with apple cider vinegar and sugar, or wine, or honey or jam and add some washing up liquid. Cover the bowl with cling film and poke some holes for Flies to enter. They will then drown.
- Filling a bag with water and pennies can deter Flies, either due to the refraction of light, they think it resembles a Spiders web or they think it is a Wasps nest.
- Pushing cloves into sliced lemons. Supposedly Flies do not like either smells and combined this will repel Flies.
- Lemongrass essential oil can apparently repel Flies. Dotted onto furniture or near windows on pieces of paper.
Treatment of Flies by PESTUK
To effectively deal with Flies a PESTUK technician will come to your home or property and help identify the type of Fly and the source of the problem. Depending on circumstances, a combination approach may include insecticide application, fly screening & sorting out the breeding site.
A common domestic treatment is for us to apply a residual insecticide to the walls & ceilings. This kills flies as they land on the treated surfaces & as the insecticide is residual will last 1-3 months inside. Before treatment it’s important that the surfaces being treated are clean & dust free. Putting items away or covering items such as cutlery, food, clothes, towels, toothbrushes etc prior to the insecticide being applied is required. All the insecticides we use are biodegradable & safe.
PESTUK are full members of the BPCA, the governing body for pest control in the UK. Using a BPCA member company ensures you have a qualified, fully insured company treating your pest problem.
Call us on 0330 100 2811 to book an appointment regarding how to get rid of Flies or any other pest problem you may have.