Is a squirrel infestation really that bad?
Scratching noises in your loft or attic? Evidence of droppings? An increased presence of squirrels in the garden? Your house may be home to a squirrel infestation. Although squirrels may look cute and seem harmless, they can cause considerable damage to your home.
Squirrel infestations are often found in loft spaces. They are very noisy therefore their presence is unlikely to go unnoticed. When squirrels enter a loft space, they cause structural damage by tearing up loft insulation for bedding. They pose a fire hazard by stripping insulation from electrical wiring or chewing through cabling. In some cases, squirrels can also get trapped in uncovered water storage tanks and drown, which will then contaminate your entire water supply, sometimes for months, until discovered. For these reasons, it is important to keep squirrels out of your loft and deal with an infestation as soon as possible.
In the UK, if a grey squirrel is caught, it is an offence to release them back into the wild. Moreover, squirrels can also become aggressive if they feel threatened, so if you catch a squirrel, or think you have a squirrel infestation, contact a professional pest control company rather than trying to deal with the issue yourself.
- Bird feeding can be a food source for squirrels – invest in squirrel-proof bird feeders.
- Keep gardens clean and tidy – this removes potential nesting sites.
- Keep food stored in air-tight containers. This includes pet food – if stored outside, make sure it kept in sealed containers stored above the ground.
- Block up any holes. For many properties (particularly, flats and terraced houses) it is worth investing in professional proofing.
- If you encounter evidence of squirrels, call a reputable pest control company.
Signs of a squirrel infestation:
- Evidence of droppings
- The smell of urine or areas which are stained and could be attributed to urine.
- Evidence of gnawing or nesting
- Scratching noises – squirrels and rats will mostly nest in the loft/attic areas and use cavities for movement in and around the house.
- Increased presence/number of squirrels in your garden.
What to do if you think you have a squirrel infestation:
If you think you may have an infestation or would like some advice, call us on 0330 100 2811 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our technicians can visit your property and can assess for points of entry, food sources, and possible nesting areas and can lay poison bait to humanely deal with rodents.
PESTUK are full members of the BPCA, the governing body for pest control in the UK. Using a BPCA member company ensures you have a qualified, fully insured company treating your pest problem.
For an updated price list for all of our services please click here.