Snap Traps. Rat-sized wooden or plastic traps can be one of the most effective means of capturing and killing rats and can be the least expensive. When using a snap trap to capture a rat, be sure to use a larger trap labeled for rat control.
Because of their highly developed sense of smell, rats are very susceptible to certain odors. Peppermint oil, castor oil and citronella oil all drive rats away. Use cotton balls soaked in these oils, or just spread a little oil around where the rats are staying, and they’ll leave for less pungent climes.
Roof rats hate changes to their environments, and they are strongly affected by unfamiliar odors. Here are some ways you can scare rats away from your home and deter mice from getting inside: Use cotton balls soaked in clove or peppermint oil around their points of entry or near food sources
If you’re looking for ways to easily remove the rodents yourself, there are some simple cost-effective ways you can try. These include… Create a ‘bait station’ to trap the rat (without harming it) and then release it safely away from your home. … Use a traditional rat trap.
- ZeroPest Ultrasonic Plug-In Indoor Repellent.
- Neatmaster Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Electronic Plug in Indoor Pest Repellent.
- Senca Solar Powered Ultrasonic Pest Repeller.
- Victor Mouse-a-Way Mice Repellent Pellets.
- Eco Defense Mice Repellent.
- Victor Scent-Away Natural Rodent Repeller Packs.