Fruit flies | FAQs | PEST UK

Pest control services for Berkshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Middlesex, Surrey & London. Established 1985.

Our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Fruit flies

Frequently asked questions about fruit flies:

Find and dispose of infested products, having a residual insecticide treatment and using a fly spray will get rid of fruit flies.

Fruit flies often infest homes with ripe or rotting fruit and produce. Fruit flies also may breed and develop in drains, garbage disposals, waste bins, and mop buckets.

Fruit flies are considered harmful as they carry bacteria including salmonella, E. coli, and listeria.

Fruit flies will eventually go away on their own but only if their food source has run out.

Removing the food source, treating with an insecticide and keeping hygiene sufficient will get rid of fruit flies permanently.

Fruit flies don’t hate anything but may be deterred by some strong scents.

An insecticide spray will kill fruit flies instantly but you will need to eliminate the source of the fruit flies too.

A house that is suddenly full of fruit flies would indicate that the flies have bred in a food source such as rotting fruit or old juice bottles.

An insecticide spray will kill fruit flies instantly but you will need to eliminate the source of the fruit flies to get rid of them once and for all.

You should not eat food if a fruit fly lands on it as they carry bacteria including salmonella, E. coli, and listeria which can contaminate the food.

Adult fruit flies can live three to four days without food, but they can survive for weeks if nectar or other liquid carbohydrate sources are available.