Recently, Storm Ciara has wreaked havoc across the UK. Winds of up to 100mph and severe flooding have caused destruction and damage to buildings, disruption to road and rail networks, cancelled flights and fallen trees. With all of this to consider in the aftermath of any storm, pests aren’t the first thing we would think about.
After storms, rat, mouse and squirrel infestations in and around the effected areas increase. This is due to the overflow of sewers forcing rats/mice above ground from flooding, and the destruction of nesting locations compelling rodents to seek shelter. Consequently, our dry, warm homes are inviting to rodents during this time.
Rodent infestations can create even more problems for residents and businesses already trying to cope with the after-effects of a storm. Not only can these small creatures cause damage through gnawing, but they can spread diseases and contaminate food. However, there are a number of ways in which you can help to prevent rodents entering your home:
- Clear up fallen trees, fences and any other debris that may have accumulated, especially if they are close to buildings.
- Make sure your premises are well sealed. Check for missing roof tiles, cracks and any other openings that may let in rodents.
- Check that any outbuildings, children’s play equipment, boats and vehicles don’t have any trapped debris that may provide a cosy home to rats, mice or squirrels.
- Ensure all foodstuff and animal feeds are kept well sealed and dry.
Rats are a particular concern in flood-ridden errors due to the health risks associated with them. Rats carry nasty diseases which can spread to humans. In particular, Weil’s disease is a potentially fatal waterborne disease that can be found in stagnant water after storms.
To ensure your safety:
- Always wear waterproof boots when wading through floodwater and never swim in floodwater.
- Cover wounds with waterproof plasters if exposed to floodwater.
If you think you may have a rodent infestation, or would like some advice regarding storms and rodents, call us on 0330 100 2811 or email at email@example.com. More information on the treatment of rats and mice can be found here.
PESTUK are full members of the BPCA, the governing body for pest control in the UK. Using a BPCA member company ensures you have a qualified, fully insured company treating your pest problem. With PEST UK you can have peace of mind knowing that you are dealing with a professional pest control service that is near you.
For an updated price list for all of our services please click here.