What Happens If Food Premises Get A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice?
Pests in your food premises could get your business shut down under a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice.
Your business needs to show that it has adequate pest control in place. Hygiene in food premises is highly regulated. If your premises do not meet the standards in an inspection the food may be declared unsafe and your business could be closed down. Food is deemed unsafe when it is “considered to be injurious to health or unfit for human consumption”. This will include rodent droppings, insects & dead cockroaches.
If your business is closed you could lose money and therefore risk immense damage to the reputation of your business. The business owner is responsible for ensuring that there are appropriate arrangements in place to prevent pests from entering the premises.
Pests In Food Premises
The three groups of pests that are usually a problem to food premises are:
- Rodents – rats and mice
- Insects – cockroaches, beetles, ants and flies
- Birds – pigeons etc
Regulation and Procedure
The layout, design, construction and size of food premises are play a role in meeting food hygiene standards. If you are concerned that your premises might have a pest problem, it is important to act immediately to ensure the problem is dealt with before it becomes worse.
The following procedure will help minimise the scale of the problem:
- Close the food preparation, storage and service areas immediately
- Call a reputable pest control company to carry out a survey and any necessary treatments. Ideally, you will have a contract with a pest control company
- Dispose of contaminated stock immediately.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect all equipment
- Store all food off the floor in sealed containers
- Carry out an inspection to ensure that there are no holes, gaps under doors and that windows all have a pest screen to prevent any pests gaining access
- Check that there are no leaky taps or any other possible source of water so that pests will not be encouraged into the premises.
Pest Control Contract
It is always a good idea to have a pest control contract for food premises. This will help to ensure the best possible protection from pests. A pest control contract will help to minimise the risk of your premises receiving a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice.
Pest UK offer reliable and affordable pest control contracts for food premises.
Pest UK technicians are all trained to BCPA standards. They also have access to baits, traps and equipment that is not generally available to the general public.
Find out more or give us a call to arrange a quote.