Pest Control as a Career
Pest Control as a Career
PESTUK has recently appointed a trainee pest control technician, and we thought we’d include a little bit more information for anyone thinking of starting a career in pest control.
Firstly, it is a varied and interesting job, and you never know what’s going to turn up next. It is also a career that can allow a fair amount of independence for individual pest control technicians.
What Does A Pest Control Technician Do?
It’s more than just getting rid of pests! A successful pest control technician needs to be able to:
- Accurately identify pests and the source of any infestation
- Advise customers on the best method of treating pests, taking into consideration any pests, children, food facilities etc. that may determine different approaches
- Have a full understanding of the chemicals and methods used in pest control treatments, and ensure that they are always safely and with consideration for the environment
- Keep accurate records of all chemicals used and treatments carried out
Best Training for Pest Control Technicians
PESTUK pest control technicians are all trained through the British Pest Control Association (BPCA). This is the umbrella body that sets the standards for the pest control industry, and a BPCA qualification offers confidence and trust to customers using your service.
The basic entry level qualification is the RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Award in Pest Management which is awarded in conjunction with the Royal Society for Public Health. Successful pest control technicians will continue to add to their knowledge with various other specialist BPCA courses.
These include specialist areas such as:
- Bed Bug Control
- Urban Bird Control and Management
- Food Safety
- Using Rodenticides Safely Course
- RSPH Level 3 in the Safe Use of Fumigants for the Management of Invertebrate Pests
- Practical Equipment Usage for Insect Control
- Becoming a Field Biologist
- Becoming a Technical Inspector
- Emergency First Aid at
Pest Control as a Career As you can see becoming a pest control technician involves a lot more than being a “rat-catcher”. PEST UK Pest Control technicians are all BPCA qualified and are all committed experts in the field of pest control.
If you are thinking of a career in pest control, give us a call and we’ll try and give you the best advice.
If you have a pest problem that needs sorting out, call PEST UK now. Our team of skilled professionals can take care of any pest problems.